A while back a conversation started on a work mailing list about the typical URL shortening sites and the features they lacked to make them truly “useful”. After reading this thread, I decided it would be a simple matter to address some of the issues and thus URL.vg was born. Functionality in URL.vg not typically found (well atleast not all at the same site) in most sites includes:
- Shortened URLs include the original domain name so you know where your going before you click on the link.
- An optional additional form which is a slightly longer more descriptive URL which includes more information about the URL.
- Link statistics (See where a link points too, how many times it was viewed, and when it was last viewed)
- A Firefox extension which makes it so easy to use, my grandmother could make URL.vg links (assuming I could get her off IE). With the extension installed, it’s a simple matter of right clicking and selecting “Copy Link Location – (URL.vg shortened)” from the context menu and the shortened version is now in the clipboard ready for pasting into your IM /Email / whatever.
- Ultra basic site design which is non-intrusive, easy to use, and ad-free (atleast for now) .
- Coming Soon: Remote webservices API which allows you to create your own applications using the site
Visit the site: http://url.vg
Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions. I am always looking for more ways to improve the site. If you enjoy using the site, please consider linking to it from your site with something like the following:
<a href=”http://url.vg”>Tired of messing with long URLs? Shorten them with URL.vg!</a>